Tuesday, December 11, 2007

shootings? nah

As requested, here is my email from Dec 5th, the day of the Westroads Mall shootings.

so here's how it went... I decided I needed to get Laura's birthday
present and a new coat for myself for Christmas (boy, it's cold here;
I'd forgotten how cold the twenties are). Yonkers had all women's
outerwear on sale, 50% off (i know what a deal, right?). well, the
closest Yonkers I know of is clear over in Northwest Omaha at
Westroads mall. but I thought, "heck, what else am i doing?" and I
headed on over. I had been there about an hour and was just about to
go into a really cute little shop, when a dozen or so people went
running by; yelling, arms a-waving. Then I realized what they were
saying, a "shooter in the mall"? heh? I thought, "what a bunch of
jerks, that's not a cool joke to play." but I figured I should
probably move on out; it would definitely take awhile to figure it all
out, anyway. It never occurred to me that there could actually be
something wrong; i wasn't scared, not even one bit. Actually, I was
little annoyed cause I was parked clear on the other side of the mall,
and as I said 22 degrees is mighty chilly. I made it to my car and
headed home. I saw at least 20 police cars pulling in as I left (maybe
not a joke afterall?). A few minutes later a report interrupted the
Christmas cartunes I was listening to, reporting that 4 people had
been injured and the gunman was still on the loose. Then. I freaked
out a little. Why is there not some kind of announcement system in
the mall, letting the poor fools outside of JCPenny know that they
should probably find somewhere safe and stay put, not walk clear
around the mall and right to your car where the crazies might be
hiding out? jeez. Dad called when I was about half way home to let
me know that I should probably stay away from Westroads. I said
"thanks."
Mom said that she was a little worried until she heard the shooting
was in Von Maur, knowing that I probably wouldn't have gone into that
store. It's our classy department store, like a Neimens, I suppose.
Kevin said thank goodness I don't like Laura enough to buy her an
expensive gift from a nice store (Laura the life debt is repaid).
...rather a surreal experience. I can't believe the death count has
climbed so high. i'm not sure it's hit me. things like this don't
happen in Otown. or near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment